Re: Calcium

I have also been studying MBP phosphorylation with a 38 kDa MAPKinase from
the moss Funaria hygrometrica and have made the same observation. I have
avoided adding CA2+ since it is known that MAPkinases are
Ca2+-independent. There is one report in the plant kingdom which shows the
reqiurement for Ca2+ -- for a MAPkinase that is. I too am not sure about
this whole issue. But my results indicate that the MAPkinase I am dealing
with shows the same trend with or without Ca2+. So, that's the story. I
personally feel you can avoid Ca2+.
Jacinta D'Souza-Saldanha,
Dept. of Biological Sciences,
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research,