Freezer effect on PKA activity assay???

Hi there,
     We are conducting a study looking at PKA activity in transformed B
lymphoblasts of Bipolar Disorder and matched control subjects.
     We have found that there is a loss of activity of the enzyme when
the cells have been frozen down for just one night, and then assayed.
Even with this information, it is almost impossible for us to carry out
the study with fresh cells as we need to do the assays with paired
Bipolar Disorder and control samples.  As such, we are forced to use
cells that have been frozen for the study.  We are now concerned with
the effect of freezer time on the activity of the enzyme.  The cells
have been frozen intact for anywhere from 2 months to 2 years.
     Does anyone know of any work that has been done to look at the
effect of freezer time on enzyme activity?
     Thank you for your time.  Your input would be greatly appreciated.

       Sincerely,
         Melissa Albin
         Master of Science (student)
         Biochemical Psychiatry