Re: overlaying gels with isobutanol and technical problem

Dear kinasers,

I always overlay might gels with water-saturated isobutanol and I have
never encountered this problem. We have had problems with isobutanol
several times in the lab, though. The problems have arisen from the fact
that some people have used non-watersaturated isobutanol, i e they have
just added new isobutanol to the bottle without shaking it with water, or
they have used n-butanol by mistake.

Yours sincerely, Lars Rönnstrand

Michael Gribskov wrote:
>>I once experienced this problem when overlaying the running gel with
>>organic solvent,
>>i.e. isobutanol satuarated with buffer.  The solution: don't overlayer.

Lars Rönnstrand, PhD
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research
Biomedical Center
Box 595