GFP as Kinase activity sensor

Dear kinasers,

I wonder if someone has been able to turn GFP (Green Fluorescent Protein)
into an "activity sensor" for protein kinases. This might be achieved by
inserting a target peptide containing a consensus site for the kinase in
question into the GFP sequence, thus turning GFP into a substrate.
Dependent on the localization of the phosphorylatable insert, the GFP
might show a change in its fluorescent properties. This way one could
observe the "turning on" of a protein kinase in vivo and in realtime,
using cells transfected with such a GFP reporter.
I dont know if this has been done already, the company marketing GFP
products (Clontech) doestn know anything, and nothiong has been published.

Cheers,

Gerard

Dr.Gerard Drewes                          Phone: (+49)(0)40-89984766 office
Max-Planck-Society                               (+49)(0)40-8515181  home
Unit for Structural Molecular Biology     Fax:   (+49)(0)40-89716810
c/o DESY, Hasylab 25B                     e-mail drewes@mpasmb.desy.de
Notkestrasse 85
D-22603 Hamburg
Germany