Protein kinase C activity assay? Help me!

Dear kinasers,

I have been doing radioactive PKC activity assay in crude extracts of membrane
and cytosolic fractions of cells, using MBP 4-14 as substrate. I have been
getting high basal activity in the membrane fraction and that obscures the
induction of PKC activity by growth factors. The maximum increase I get is
doubling the basal activity. What may be the reason when literature is full of
reports showing induction many-fold? Also, I  get the induction only when
assay is done on membrane fraction and cytosolic fractions separately, why?
There are many more questions I will like to ask once I get response to these.
Details of the method may be important to answer, probably, which I will
provide on response.

thanks

Awasthi
UTHSCSA, San antonio