kinases question on kinase activity gel

Hi,

Does anyone know kinase activity gel technology? usually the substrate
(protein or peptide) will be included in the separating gel. I just wonder
why the substrate doesn't migrate during the electrophorsis or the small
peptide won't diffuse out of the gel. another question raise when I look at
the renature procedure, does the renatured protein phosphorylate the
substrate before the hot ATP is added during the renaturing process? I
traced several references but I still confused on the questions mentioned
above. your  reply will be greatly appreciated.

Yi Zhang